5.25.2011

third time's a charm?

One of my projects while Jay was out of town a couple weeks ago, was my living room (i.e. the room no one uses). When we first moved in, I decorated it to look like this:


Then I decided to paint it (post about it here) and get new lamps and it looked a little something like this:


Then one day, I decided I was over black frames. All of a sudden I thought the black frames looked too harsh against the bright turquoise wall. Yes, black frames were out! I decided that the room would so much fresher and lighter with white ones. So I spent part of my mother's day spray painting all my black frames white. Since I realize it is slightly out of character for me to not run out on impulse and buy twenty new white frames, I figured you guys would need to see proof. Here you go:


In addition to spray painting all the black frames, I also painted a few really inexpensive wood frames and finally got around to spray painting Finlay's owl friend for her wall.


Once, I hung the frames back up (with updated pictures), I added some new curtains from West Elm. The cotton canvas printed tortoise window panels were only $39 a piece for 108" panels! I hung one on each window. Then, I added my silver metallic pouf I scored from Calypso's line for Target. I got two gray & white pillows from etsy and an aqua throw from Target (to cover up the giant rip in the couch from the dogs a couple years ago). I got a little espresso wood side table for $49 and the lamp shade on clearance for $4.99 (both from Target). I used one of the leftover ladder bookshelves from the family room and put some books, frames, candles, etc. On the opposite wall, the dinghy white IKEA chair got a coral and white Calypso for Target pillow. The dark bookcase moved next to the chair and houses more books, candles, decorative objects, etc. I hung a silver mirror that used to be in the family room and bought a new lamp and shade from Target. I ended up adding a couple more white frames to the wall (that I bought). You really can't tell the difference between the ones I bought and the ones I painted! I also put a little square basket next to the chair to hold a couple of Finlay's toys. It's nice to have a couple toys for her in each room, so I can just plop her down on the floor with one if I need to run in another room to break up a fight/clean up a spill/console a certain someone who has launched himself off of the table for the zillionth time!

Anyway....here is the final product. I LOVE it! I think it is still bold with the wall color, but looks so much crisper and lighter. The only thing I need to do at some point is get a new rug. I have a simple jute one in mind.




It has a very tranquil feel to it now. I've been spending more time in there lately, reading, playing on my laptop, etc. I think it's my new favorite room. It's close enough to the family room to keep tabs on the kids but far enough away that I can actually concentrate on a book without getting distracted by whatever the Fresh Beat Band is singing about!

No comments:

Post a Comment