11.06.2010

Today is brought to you by the letter 'R'


I just realized that Emerson will be learning the letter 'R' at school next week and I have volunteered to bring a snack for the kids that begins with 'R'. When I signed up for said letter, I thought it would be a piece of cake. I mean lots of words start with 'R'. Words? Yes! Foods that four-year-olds will eat? Not so much! Still it has to be easier than two years ago, when I got stuck with the letter 'U'. I ended up making Upside-down pineapple cake.

So I googled foods that start with R and got the following: rice, rolls, raisins, roast beef, Ramon noodles, Reese's pieces, relish, raspberries, red grapefruit, ricotta cheese, rhubarb, and radishes. Really? Of those, probably only raisins and raspberries will go over well. Unfortunately, Reese's pieces gets eliminated because the school is a nut-free zone.

As I try to rack my brain for any recipes of things with raspberries or raisins that will please the palate of a preschooler, I think what if I just make something red! And then BAM! RED VELVET CAKE! Ha! I'm going to make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing and a raspberry on top of each one! Brilliant! Time-consuming, but brilliant, nonetheless! Of course not as brilliant as the mom who choose 'V' and just brought in boxes of vanilla-wafers. Damn her!

1 comment: